Echoes of Somewhere is an experimental 2.5D point and click adventure game anthology series developed by a group of game industry veterans on their free time.
The project relies heavily on AI generated content and as such is an experiment in itself. We will be documenting the progress here in this development blog. For good or for worse.
Each episode in the series is about 1-4 hours of classic point-and-click gameplay in a new world with new characters. Even the art style will vary from episode to episode.
The episodes will be released for free one by one when completed.
Latest posts from the blog:
- Using Midjourney for game locations (city hall part 1)by Jussi Kemppainen on September 18, 2023 at 04:09
Sometimes these locations require more art direction. More specific features. In these cases, a lot more work is required. Here is a breakdown for how to direct Midjourney for game locations using it’s vary region and pan / zoom out features. The post Using Midjourney for game locations (city hall part 1) appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Building a Puzzleby Jussi Kemppainen on September 11, 2023 at 04:19
Building Adventure Game Puzzles is fun. This is a very complete breakdown of creating a bathroom scene with its puzzle in under 2 days! (Spoiler alert!) The post Building a Puzzle appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- New teaser trailerby Jussi Kemppainen on September 10, 2023 at 11:14
The original teaser trailer I did way back started to look a bit dated with old character, locations and UI, so it was time for a new trailer! The post New teaser trailer appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Custom post-process effect: Anamorphic Bloomby Jussi Kemppainen on September 4, 2023 at 04:26
Anamorphic bloom is for sure the most cyberpunk aesthetic there is. I wanted to use it as a use case for learning how to create post process materials for Unity URP. This post explains the process. The post Custom post-process effect: Anamorphic Bloom appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Premortem Games interviewby Jussi Kemppainen on August 31, 2023 at 21:13
A really interesting gaming news site, PreMortem Games posted and interview about Echoes of Somewhere. The post Premortem Games interview appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Using AI as inspiration for UI designby Jussi Kemppainen on August 27, 2023 at 22:07
All throughout the project, I have been slightly tweaking the UI from time to time. Now that I have a better understanding of the functionality of the UI, a more polished look and feel begun to creep into my mind. The post Using AI as inspiration for UI design appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Rendering custom shadows with URP shader graph & apartment ext locationby Jussi Kemppainen on August 21, 2023 at 00:00
As I upgraded the render pipeline for the game, I noticed that my custom shadow rendering shaders turned pink. It was time to transition from custom HLSL shading for the environments to a more modern shader graph based approach. The post Rendering custom shadows with URP shader graph & apartment ext location appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Additional effects for the apartment sceneby Jussi Kemppainen on August 13, 2023 at 22:20
I have been working on the apartment for absolutely forever! I have begun to approach this room as a vertical slice for the game. This post is about some of the features I added this week: simulated cool air mist and fluorescent light flicker. The post Additional effects for the apartment scene appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- Footstep Audioby Jussi Kemppainen on August 11, 2023 at 12:23
I have actually never before done footstep audio set for a game. I wanted the system to be able to play audio from animation events and work on multiple different surfaces. Read how I ended up doing it. The post Footstep Audio appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.
- UI audio groundworkby Jussi Kemppainen on August 4, 2023 at 21:29
For a while now I have been laying the foundations for UI audio for the game. This was more involved than I thought. The post UI audio groundwork appeared first on Echoes of Somewhere.